What Is 'I MOTIVATES'?

'I MOTIVATES' is my slogan...MOTIVATES (Motivating Others Through Innovative Ventures and Timely Educational Seminars) is my motivational speaking business. This blog grew from the work I do with groups to enlighten and inspire people to be their best. When we lift each other up, there is no limit to our success!

"I MOTIVATES"! DO YOU?!

Friday, May 27, 2011

If It Ain't Broke!

“I had to reset everything and go back to the basics.”
~Darrell Campbell

Let many tell it and they will say life is all about growth and change.  Let Ms. Mocha tell it and I say that theory is only half-true.  Sometimes it is about remaining true to yourself and maintaining what works for you.  Recently, I have had a few life experiences that made me realize my life was much better before I started embracing what I “thought” you should do when you grow.  Things like being more serious, trying to work out issues in dying relationships and being there for EVERYONE who needs you to be.  Before I became more conscious of every action—and reaction—of those around me and myself, my life had a smoother flow.  This is not a post to motivate you to change, but a post to motivate you to sustain and nurture your good qualities.  Today’s challenge is to renovate your life, but keep the structure that keeps you standing.

Renovation is not about tearing everything down and starting over.  It is however about making small changes to make your life more livable and enjoyable.  Below are the two renovations I feel can spark that much needed return to happiness… 

Individual Renovations:  If the new version of yourself is resulting in an uphill battle, it may be time to recognize what worked in your life before you started changing it.  Returning back to basics may seem simple, but there is a lot that goes into personal changes.  For one, we have to realize exactly where we went wrong in our transformations.  Acknowledging the problem is the first step in changing it.  Secondly, we have to ease up off the behaviors that have brought us to this place.  Third, we have to acknowledge those things that do not work!  Not all old characteristics are good characteristics and we must keep the two separate for the optimal version of ourselves to form.  
For many of us our entire lives are shaped by the opinions, actions and behavior of others and our environments.  We put on masks, armor and other protective gear to shield and protect the real person underneath.  As we grow, often we are forced to change to embrace a new side of life.  Sometimes WE do not need to change; we need to change our reality.  Which leads me to my second change…

Relationship Renovations: For those who need to reset their lives, a great place to start would be the people in it.  A typical reset of any device sometimes includes the alteration or deletion of certain components.  Now do not get me wrong, this is easier said than done!  However, this is about the restoration of your life and there is never change without a challenge.  If you are altering a relationship, know that you will confront some issues.  Be true to who you want to be and let the chips fall where they may.  For those messy deletions, remember that your reason—whatever it may be—is good enough.  Do not falter on it.  Some people will not understand why they cannot remain in your life, but if it means keeping your structure intact, it is not for them to understand.    

Trying to fix yourself when you were never broken can cause a lot of stress and unnecessary changes in your life.  There are times when we should pick up the paddle and row, but there are also times that we should just go with the flow.  If you are constantly picking up your paddle and going against the current that allows you to be content, maybe it’s time for a new approach!  Allow the good parts of your character, personality and ability to remain that way and only change when it will make your life easier.  Basically put: If it ain’t broke, don’t break it!  With all that said, I am done!  Until next time my loves!  

1 comment:

  1. I have always amintained that remaining true to myself is one of the characteristics that make me the sweet, loveable old coot that I am. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete